Monday, November 30, 2015

Another Spanish Angel dies in the Valley of the Sun



HOLA!!!!!!

So pretty much I wanted to die Friday.  President Sweeney called and told me I am being emergency transferred to the valley. Something happened down there and he had to make a lot of switches.  A Spanish sister needed to come down to serve with Sister Ferre, and that person became me.  HOORAY to be with Sister Ferre again!!! That is the only reason I am not hiding in the woods right now and refusing to leave.  President was smart :)  However, I bawled about leaving the area and Sister Linford.  I couldn't even respond to President on the phone
because I was already crying.  I will be in a Spanish branch again, and then an English ward as well. Just on the other side of the street as my old area.  Hopefully that means I will get to see some of my Mexican families while I am there!  I don't know why this change couldn't wait for two weeks, but I will go where I am told.  The crazy thing is that next Monday, President wants me to come back up here for the Mountain Missionary conference with Elder Robbins, and probably the Mission Leadership Council as well.  I think it's crazy, but I'm
packed and ready to head out in about 80 minutes.  Grrrr

So basically I am going to die in the valley (die is missionary term for finishing our mission).  Funny. When I left the valley, that is what I prayed for. When I left Sister Ferre, I prayed that we would be companions again before I left.  BAD TIMING!!!!  ha ha ha - Be careful what you pray for :)

Despite the really hard weekend, we saw a ton of miracles this week.  Delbert came to church for the 4th time in 1 month!!!!!  He wrote me the sweetest goodbye card and promised me that he would make it to the temple. Another less-active miracle was Cazzie!!!! Marie is a sweetheart and she went and helped Cazzie get ready for church, loaded her wheel-chair in the car, and pushed her around to every class.  Cazzie stayed the whole 3 hours!!!!!  We went to say goodbye to Cazzie on Saturday and she cried when I told her. She said a really sweet
prayer for me, and agreed to come to church. The funniest part was that she brought her mostly hairless dog to church and probably grossed everyone out!  She participated in class though and kept her sass to a minimum ;)

Cazzie
The Hale family also made it to church for the 2nd time in a row, and biggest miracle of the week was that Amanda and Paul came out of their slump :)  We stopped by during the week, and they finally let us in.  Church music was playing on the CD player, and they had the Ensign opened.  The Spirit was noticeably back in their home. Amanda told us that it had been a rough day, but they had decided they needed to make changes. So they are getting rid of the X-box, and starting to climb back up their hill.  It was so good to see them positive again. We had a lesson with them last night, and we basically need to start over with teaching them to obey commandments, but at least they are ready to try again!!!! They even came to church as a family again :)

Amanda & Paul
Thanksgiving was incredible.  In the morning Sister Durrant invited us to their family breakfast. We had pumpkin pancakes with Rum Syrup. No, there was no alcohol ;)  We talked to them for a while, then went and
played football with the Stake President and his ward. I accidentally tripped the stake president, and he fell to the ground, but he probably deserved it. He made fun of my Utah sweatshirt!!!!  After football we did some studies and then Delbert had us over at 1 for Thanksgiving. It was really good food!!!  After dinner his grandsons gave us nerf guns and we played with them for a while. They nailed me good! Right between the eyes!  It was fun to be with their family :) After Delbert, we went over to the Brimhall's for their Thanksgiving.  The food wasn't ready, so we played basketball outside in our skirts with their 10 and 11 yr olds. It was hilarious!  After we ate there, we went and sang some Christmas carols to lonely people with the other sisters. They had to leave early, so Sister Linford and I went to visit a single lady that one of our Bishops had suggested to us. It was a very fulfilling day :)

Thanksgiving Breakfast at Sister Durrant's

Thanksgiving at Delbert's

Nerf gun war with Delbert's grandsons

 Thanksgiving dinner #2 with Brimhall's
Yesterday I tried something new!!! I translated Sacrament meetings into Spanish for two members that came. We met with President Shumway this week (Stake President) to discuss what he wants us to do with the Spanish people. Essentially he wants us to help them gather to one sacrament meeting that would be translated.  Then to add a Spanish Sunday school, then Spanish relief society and priesthood, but it all starts with sacrament meeting. So we found the devices yesterday, talked to the Bishop and he said we can translate whenever we want! I did it yesterday and a member will do it next week.  It was a lot harder than I thought, but I was glad I tried it :)  Trying to listen through one ear, and make words of a different language come out your mouth is not easy!!!

Here is a hilarious story for the week. I got attacked by a vicious wiener dog. Thats right, a dog that looks like a giant hot dog! And it was wearing a pink tutu!!!  So one of our less-active families has told us about their mean wiener dog and how they always have to lock it up when we come. I've asked to meet it before, but they all 3 would shout "No!!" Well the kids forgot this time, and let us into the family room. I was standing there and looked into the kitchen, then saw the wiener dog. It was out and my only thought was "Uh-oh." Literally as if it had heard my thought, it whipped around and in a movement so fast I didn't see it, was on me!!!! I jumped on the couch,
and it jumped right up there too!  It clung onto my knee so I kicked it off, it bit my other knee 2 or 3 times before I kicked it off that one, and then it jumped up and latched onto my arm!!! Luckily I had my canvas-type material coat on and so it protected me pretty well, but the kids could not pull him off of me! I could hear myself yelling
"Ow!!! Ow!!!!"  Finally the mom grabbed it and ripped it off of me!!  She was horrified.  The poor lady started crying :(  She made me show her my arm and it only had little welts at the time. (It later turned into giant bruises).  I felt bad for her, so I didn't tell her that when I checked my knees in the bathroom they didn't look so good.  Since it didn't really break skin I didn't worry about it.  Just giant bruises :)  The mom was so mad, she wants to put it down, but I told her no, and that I was fine.  It is a hilarious story for me to tell!  I got attacked by a wiener dog wearing a pink tutu :)  hahahahaha


Who knows what this week will bring! I will be emailing again Wednesday, December 9th due to a visiting general authority on Monday.  I have a feeling that these changes are going to make time FLY!!!!  But I think I'm a little bit excited to get to be in Phoenix again :)  It might be sketchy, dirty, and smelly, haha but to me its like
Disneyland....almost ;)

I love you family!!! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!!  Send mail to the mission office.....I am living at the Arioso apartments just like my first 4 transfers, but its a different apartment number and things will probably get lost if they just don't go to the mission home for the next 2 weeks.  Ay ay ay, just when you feel settled, the
world tips upside down :)

I love you, I Love You, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Hermana Short

Pictures below are beloved families of Show Low!!

Gardner Family
Mora Family
Edith
Janice - who thinks we're from Gideon



Martin Family

Yeomans


Hartman Family
The other Gardner family

No comments:

Post a Comment