Monday, June 8, 2015

Birthday and Blessings

Buenos Dias!

This week has been quite the roller coaster....a really fast one too because we didn't even have time to breathe before p-day came around again!

First of all I had a really good birthday! My roommates blew up balloons and put up a sign and then I opened my presents.  During church we went up to bear our testimonies and in one of the Wards I made the mistake of telling one of the funny members it was my birthday. As I stand at the pulpit he coughs really loud and yelled Happy Birthday!  It was so awkward, but funny!  We ate dinner at the Bishops house and he didn't know it was my birthday, but dessert was cake and ice cream so it was perfect!  That night the sister training leaders we live with made me a cake too :). It was a good day!  I also got emails from Ernie, Valeria, and Hermana Orozco from
Phoenix, so that made me super happy!  Plus it was the first sunny day this weekend....and the Payson Temple got dedicated on my birthday so it was definitely a good day!



This weekend in Show Low the city put on Show Low days.  It started Friday and so on Thursday I decided we needed a missionary booth there. We called the city and they asked us to come meet with them.  

 Sister Erekson and I went down there not really knowing what to expect and they told us we could have a booth for $150.  No thanks!!!  Then a member working for the city popped in and said he would pay for it! Yes! Then he told  us he'd need 13 hours of help and we had to sit in the booth for about 22 hours total.  Gulp.  We called our district leader and other missionaries and after a very stressful afternoon we figured out a shift schedule and collected a canopy, tables, chairs, and decorations from members.  It was hectic!  The two days that the booth was set up we probably only got 10-15 interested people, but all we needed was one interested person to make the work worth it :). It down poured on Friday and not many people came, but Saturday there was a good group!


Show Low Days
When sister Erekson and I were finishing up our Saturday shift, the birthday shout out member brought us fry bread and donuts :). Then on our way out a random member bought us a giant stack of French fries....as we were walking back to our booth to give half the fries to the elders, a member stopped us at his booth and gave us free extra large fruit drinks.  We had to keep our heads down and walk fast to get out of there without anymore food :)  I love being a missionary :)



Thursday night and all day Friday, Alexis Butler did a mini mission with us and we had a blast!  She's 17 and wants to go on a mission as soon as she can :). Boy is she hilarious too....for dinner the member cancelled so we went to Taco Bell and let Alexis get a Mountain Dew.  Never again.  Our next lesson the three of us and the recent convert we were teaching were laughing so hard because we had to hit Alexis with pillows to get her to stop talking.....I haven't laughed that hard in so long....Our morning lesson with her was awesome though.  She talked about her conversion story with an investigator and it was neat that she could relate to Tiffany better then anyone else there.


Alexis' family is my favorite family here so far.  Alexis was baptized about 2 years ago and her mom and two siblings were baptized this last March.  Her brother Denis is 15 and the little sister Skyler is 13.  And the mom is hilarious!!   She let us shovel horse manure this week :).  We smelled awesome for dinner after that one.....  Skyler is excited because we get to go to girls camp with her (oh yeah!!!!! We are going to girls camp in two weeks!!) . I love the Butler family!!!  They might be moving to Utah next year and that would make my day :)



Kathy is a progressing investigator now!  This week she got her own scripture quad at Book Barn, and she made it to church....also bringing our new and second progressing investigator Tiffany!  They both loved church, and the members were super welcoming which was awesome.

Tiffany is an investigator that has been learning from one of the senior couples for s few weeks.  They decided to introduce us and have us start teaching her.  So we had that one lesson with Alexis and then she came to church on Sunday so we are excited to be working with her now.

President Sweeney gave us permission to go to our 4 day stake girls camp and we are super excited because there are 3 non members in our Ward going and possibly 6 less actives.  We are so stinking excited :)

 I seriously can't believe how fast the Lord is working in this area.  15 member referrals to work with this week.....

This week marks 1 year for me as a missionary.  I cannot even explain how much I've learned and how much I've grown.  I've never before understood the power of the Book of Mormon and its testimony of the Savior.  I've never had so many disappointments swallowed up in incredible miracles.  And there are so many people I've met, things I've done, places I've been, and things I've heard, that I would never have known or experienced if I hadn't come here.  It is hard.  It is tiring.  But it is the most inspiring, changing, and unforgettable year I've had and probably ever will have.  I wouldn't trade this past year for anything.

Thank you for all of your support, love, prayers, and words of encouragement.  I am a better missionary because of you.

I love you and miss you so much!!

I love you, I Love You, I LOVE YOU
Love,
Hermana Short

PS  Thank you to all my wonderful extended family and friends for your love and support!!  You made me feel very loved on my birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment